Thursday, September 19, 2013

On staying sane and moving to a new city...

I admit, moving to a new city can be a stressful- if not a wild decision. This exact situation happened to me about a month ago. I am nearing my 1 month anniversary of being in New York City, and I have to say my views are radically different than when I first got here. So here are my tips to getting in the groove of things!

1) Try to stick to your regular routine. For example- If you work out every morning- don’t stop. Join a facility! If you’re accustomed to getting a coffee each afternoon, then make a routine of it. A routine gives me a sense of self and purpose, which helps combat loneliness sometimes. Chances are, unless you’re moving to some dormitory or close to relatives, you’re going to be spending quite a bit of time by yourself, so best thing is to get used to it and enjoy it!

2) Do the “touristy” things first! Before you know it, you’re going to be spending a lot of time being busy with … I don’t know…. job applying, job interviewing, studying for school or whatever. Going to tourist attractions will often give you some history of your new city and it will allow you to explore without having to venture too far out of your comfort zone.

3) Join different groups! In the month of being here, I have joined various groups. In my case, I have joined Kappa Alpha Theta’s Alumnae group, as well as the Panhellenic Alumni group. These groups are always hosting different events, and it’s a great way to meet people. There are also cool sites such as MeetUp that help you connect with people of similar interests as you.  

4) Keep a tight grip on your wallet… until you find a job at least. When I think of myself- depending on the day I think of myself as…. Fiscally irresponsible. That is to say- I enjoy eating out and shopping. Moral of the story is, try to refrain from unnecessary spending until you have a cash flow. It sounds simple, but some people (like me) have to learn the hard way.

5) Keep in touch! It helps so much to keep in touch with people from home- even more to keep in touch with those who are also moving. People can be surprisingly supportive and uplifting in your time of need. I know it may sound pathetic, but a pep talk is what we all need sometimes, and maybe a little butt kicking to get us into shape. 

J.Crew Magic Glitter Wallet, and Stationary from Blacker and Kooby Stationers

No comments:

Post a Comment